Sunday, December 6, 2009

Gwatter06, 12/6

We had a very interesting class discussion this week to finish up our semester in 300. We’ve had a little streak of feminist theorists to cover for our past couple of readings and our “class” discussion followed in very well. Professor Casey decided to relinquish the teaching floor to the class, but not just anyone or everyone in the class, but only our female participants in class. In the sense that the men were not able to speak or had to seek permission somewhat to get a thought or point across highlighted what many would believe is a day-to-day situation with women. I think all three of the recent theorists, Hooks, Butler and Cixous would agree. Feminism is a theory topic that has been around for quite sometime now. Similar to masculinity, feminism to me, and many others I would believe, is quite an ambiguous topic. My question is, although I understand that women seek equality and indifference, how can society seek to change it anymore than it already has? I feel as though women have accomplished a lot over the years, almost as much as they can legally, but what more is there to seek socially that doesn’t dell into biological or physical aspects. I believe that men and women are different for a reason and can never be the same, I also believe that in areas of society such as the workforce, education and politics that women should be treated the same as men if they are capable of their work. Oddly I would relate this notion of striving for total equality to Lyotard’s concept of total metanarratives. I think that the ideologies of feminism are conforming individuals to seek or make sense of a world that cannot exist essentially in equating men to women on all levels and aspects. All in all I have gravely enjoyed our time in 300 and think we ended controversially, but definitely with a an enjoyable bang. This is Gwatter06 signing out of blogger indefinitely and saying thank God I don't have to worry about blogging anymore!!!

1 comment:

CMC300 said...

Even though things ended on a different note from our previous classes, I'm glad that you still got a lot out of that experience. I don't think that Cixous and Butler are trying to make men and women the exact same thing, but it's ensuring that both genders are treated in a similar manner and no one sex is treated better than another. There are a number of ways of looking at this issue. I've enjoyed reading your critical views all semester :)