Sunday, December 6, 2009

Teets, 12/6

Reflecting back on Thursday’s class makes me laugh a little bit. I know the point of the exercise was to give women the chance to speak up,, but that is a pretty ridiculous notion in itself. I normally don’t talk that much in class, but there were so many points during the discussion I wanted to interject, but I “couldn’t.” I think the women did a great job of flushing out some ideas that Cixous and Butler had, but I think the topic of feminism is something that is discussed far too much in theory. Women have achieved so much in the last century and I believe they won’t achieve that much more in terms of being equal with men. Somebody made the point in class that society has constructed male dominance since essentially the beginning of time, therefore it would take extremely long for things to even out.

As I was silently sitting there, laughing hysterically on the inside, I couldn’t help but relate the exercise to Macherey. The body language and facial expressions on the male students said more than their words could. The men, including myself, looked eager to talk and interject, but didn’t have the license to, which is I guess how some women feel. I think feminism created the ideology that women’s voices are silenced amongst the general population. I think that that claim is simply false, as women are equal in most facets of society. Maybe women will never be viewed as completely equal, but you just have to play the hand you are dealt. Women and men are different creatures for a reason, in my opinion. Without difference neither gender would have any benefit to the other. I think the idea of trying to be both is not entirely worth it, because that defeats the purpose of getting married, which is one of life’s biggest and most sought after ideologies. Women need to just carry on and not partake in feminist meetings and protests, because they are pretty much wasting their time in my opinion.

No comments: