Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy Birthday!, 1/28

Tuesday’s class was really exciting, and a nice change in what we had been studying in previous classes. I’ve always found the art of architecture so amusing because there are so manyyyy styles, and it keeps evolving as we speak! I also learned much more than I ever knew about architecture, which was enlightening because I feel like now whenever I see certain buildings I will be able to identify them and be able to critique and give a somewhat educated opinion on the architecture.

My favorite type of architecture to learn about was the radical eclecticism type. This type of architecture draws me in and entertains me. I love new ideas, and new looks—and I love contemporary and modern designs. When learning about these different themes of postmodernism, one particular building came to mind that’s actually located here in Orlando. It’s called the WonderWorks building, and it is supposedly the most photographed building in Orlando, and it’s one of those cheesy tourist hot spots. This building (pictured below) is supposed to resemble a house that has fallen out of the sky and landed upside down. This type of architecture in my opinion is a mix of tradition reinterpreted, divergent stratification, and new rhetorical figure. I mostly think it is tradition reinterpreted because it is taking a traditional looking house (except it’s huge) and flipping it completely upside down to give viewers a radical view of a house.



I really enjoyed learning about the different themes of postmodern architecture. My least favorite was the Urbane Urbanism because I thought it was boring and not original. Like I stated earlier I love the radical eclecticism look because it’s different from what I’m used to seeing. It’s original and exciting to look at. I’m really looking forward to our field trip tomorrow!

1 comment:

CMC300 said...

Good post. You gave your own opinions about different Jencks cannons and I liked your example using the Wonder works building. It is a truly unique structure. I am also glad that you enjoyed this class and will apply what you have learned when viewing architecture in the future.

-Starfish