Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Yellowdaisy4, Jencks

I found the Jencks article about architecture to be very interesting because I was unaware of all the different types of architecture there are. At first, it was hard for me to understand what Jencks was talking about just through his explanations but eventually after looking at the pictures in class, I was able to understand his point more clearly. I found the disharmonious harmony and radical eclecticism styles to sound the most fascinating because I like the different look of mismatched designs merging together, whether they are completely different or working in unity with one another, because it stands out. Anthropomorphism was very cool because I didn't even know buildings shaped as faces or with human characteristics even existed and I like that concept. Additionally, the absent center style caught my attention because Disney's Contemporary Hotel is one of my favorite buildings because of the hole they have in the middle of the hotel where the monorail comes through. I find that type of design intriguing because it makes you feel like you are in the action. I also like how it serves a function which is to easily get hotel guests into the Disney Parks and to display the famous monorail up close. This brings me to divergent signification and double coding which stylistic elements serve for purpose as well as style which is a good idea for buildings which need to function as something in order to be successful. Moreover, I have noticed urbane urbanism before but never knew exactly what it was or how to explain it until reading Jencks. An example of buildings that look like they've always been there and are traditional but are actually pretty new is the Portofino Hotel in Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. The Portofino is designed to look like an old Italian city like Venice yet is just designed after that city and is just a copy of tradition for a hotel so tourists can feel like they are not really just in Florida. Lastly, I don't think I could have understood what multivalence was,which is a building that has multiple layers of design with depth, or what was new rhetorical figures,which is like the cathedral type buildings, without seeing pictures of them in class.

1 comment:

CMC300 said...

good post yellowdaisy4. You show an interest in Jencks and you take his cannons and give some good examples of your own, such as the Portofino hotel being an example of urbane urbanism.

-Starfish