Saturday, January 31, 2009

Marie89, 1/31

I found it really interesting to take our in-class learning into the real world and analyze buildings we probably did not give much thought to previously. I never thought of skyscrapers as very pretty or interesting, but after seeing all of the different facets that go into making buildings different or cohesive or historical, I now catch myself taking a second look at different architecture. Skyscrapers use to seem to me as just building in which to hold offices with some windows to make it not seem like a dungeon. In reality, there is a lot more thought put into each and every aspect of the buildings. I think that applying our learning about postmodernism to different objects like buildings in the real world helped me to better understand the concepts learned in our class. I had no idea that there were so many different types of architecture, either. It is cool to see how much thought actually goes into creating artwork and that there are different classifications for it all. It makes one wonder about other things as well. Sometimes the most arbitrary seeming thing actually has a lot of thought and motivation behind it. Who knew that architects utilize different elements to connote to different things? Once we arrived at the Bank of America building, I kept on noticing new aspects that I could apply to our learning. I never would have realized those aspects before, but once I noticed one thing, I kept on finding new things that would also apply. One thing that I found really interesting was the fact that the Bank of America building was shaped as a church steeple which connoted a worshiping of money. One would have never noticed it because of its subtlety but once one takes the time to analyze it, it brings on a lot more meaning. It’s amazing what types of things you notice once you take the time to look.

1 comment:

CMC300 said...

Good post. It seems you got a lot out of our trip downtown Orlando. I like your section on the bank of America building. You are right in saying that somethings that we see as subtle have a lot more meaning to them when we analyze and look at them with a critical eye.

-Starfish