Wednesday, January 28, 2009

weezy27/Jencks

In class we viewed many slides of different buildings around the world. Each of these buildings consisted of different elements discussed in Jencks’ article. As I sat in class and watched the dozens of beautiful buildings pop up on the screen I began to think of the many places I have traveled. I thought about the different buildings I have seen and started categorizing them, in a sense, with the terms we learned through the Jencks’ article. For this post, I am going to list off the terms that were most interesting to me and why. The first term is disharmonious harmony. Disharmonious harmony is when an artist, whether it is art, music, etc., takes as many different styles as possible and places them together to make them work. Once I learned this term can be categorized as a piece of music I began thinking about all the other types of art that could be considered disharmonious harmony. I immediately thought about the many different songs today that incorporate multiple genres of music. For example, the song by Tim Mcgraw and Nelly which really made a large statement in the music world when it came out a few years ago. The second term is urbane urbanism. When we were told that Baldwin Park was a great example of this, I was amazed. I think that it such a neat concept which is very pleasing and attractive to people. The term interesting term is anthropomorphism. This is such an interesting concept because it is a great technique that attracts many people as seen in the examples of the animal-like objects sold at Target these days. However, after learning about anthropomorphism (because I kind of think its weird) I wandered why this type of art was a high selling or attractive product?

1 comment:

CMC300 said...

Solid Post. I especially like your section on disharmonious harmony. You really thought about the concept and how to apply it to things other than architecture.

-Starfish