Sunday, January 25, 2009

Trapnest, 1/22

I couldn’t help but engage in my own temesis in class last time. Thinking and re-writing the class when it was occurring. The picture of Marilyn Monroe made me think of an age old saying with regards to clothing I’ve been told once before, “It’s not how much you show, but how little.” In other words, it’s not how much skin you show but how little. Now, I realize I’m outing myself as a girl here, but I think it’s very true. I’ve spoken with countless guys on the subject and many will say, the girl who shows off the most skin is often less enticing than the girl who is dressed much more modestly with little peaks.

Relating this to media texts I think it is true that we will re-write, re-read and relate to the texts as we’re reading it. I was also thinking about how we related it to when two people are having a discussion. It is often the cast that we feel that we need to interject, it’s almost seen, and I feel, as a necessity to the conversation. Like we are not a part of what’s occurring if we’re not adding our own “two-cents” to it. It is the back and fourth play that we have with the other person that most people are taught to signify a conversation. It is only natural that we should then do this with the texts we read. If we are to “properly” interact with it then we must add our own information and tidbits to it. Even though we discussed “Readerly Texts” where this doesn’t, or shouldn’t occur, I personally think it’s impossible. Even in an instruction book someone is very likely thinking to themselves “Oh, this assembles just like…” or “I knew these two pieces would go together.” To have a text completely exempt of this would be completely impossible because it goes against our nature.

1 comment:

CMC300 said...

Good post. I especially liked your section on writerly and readerly texts. Just remember that post class posts are due by 5 pm on sundays.

-Starfish