Sunday, January 25, 2009

Scorpio, 1/22

I found the study of tmesis to be a very interesting topic. As we discussed in class on 1/22, tmesis is the figurative “gap” in meaning between words. It also helps to bring about ideas and understanding of language. One interesting aspect of tmesis is the notion that, individually, it is based from personal experience. Our class exercise looking at the Hemingway poem bit by bit and assuming its meaning in our own contexts was an example of tmesis. I will have to admit as well that tmesis is quite objective to the individual reading the passage. Therefore, tmesis is never accounted for as the reader is in total control of his/her imagination.
This concept reminds me of a developmental idea as well. When I was little, I used to “read” books to my friends. Actually, I was saying I could read, but all I was doing was making a story to fit with the pictures. Where did I gain knowledge to produce the stories? Tmesis! This example shows that children rely on tmesis to make sense of pictures and the way the world works.

1 comment:

CMC300 said...

I really liked that you related tmesis to your childhood. It was a good example. Just remember that posts should be at least 300 words and post class posts are due Sunday by 5 pm.

-Starfish