Thursday, January 29, 2009

Yellowdaisy4, 1/29

I really enjoyed class today because we were able to have a first hand experience of what we were studying. It is hard to grasp the concept of something 3-D like architecture in just a picture let alone just reading a description of how it is designed. It was interesting to see how the different types of designs that were explained in the Jencks reading were displayed in actual buildings. I have seen the buildings in downtown Orlando many times but have never really stopped to look at them and appreciate the architecture. The Bank of America building was fascinating because it seemed to have included each different type of design. When looking at it at first, I noticed it had disharmonious harmony with the square straight line designs paired with the pyramid and circle shapes. I also noticed how it had tradition reinterpreted in that the building had modern straight lines and squared windows with traditional classicism columns in the front. The absent center aspect was also very clear to me because we were sitting in it being the atrium which adds an aesthetically pleasing aspect and has a function as well. What I was really surprised to see was that the building even displayed anthropomorphism which I did not notice until it was pointed out to me. I thought that would be very hard to find in most normal looking buildings. I also found it fascinating that the trolly stop was urbane urbanism because I would have never of guessed it was new until I was told because it just seems like it fits and has always been there. The bus stop was really cool to analyze because I always see it and think of waves and a roller coaster. I didn't realize until this week that was anamesis working. I, additionally found it cool that that building had divergent signification because it seemed the structure was on the outside but still served its function. Lastly, the court house was interesting to look at because it has such a unique design as well. I found it really intriguing when Dr. Rog pointed out that it looks like “the seat of justice.” I probably would never have noticed that but after talking about it and seeing it, I'm surprised my all the cool designs I miss because I don't spend enough time admiring the things around me.

1 comment:

CMC300 said...

Great post. It seems that you really enjoyed our trip downtown and it got you to look at structures that you see all the time, differently. Your post is a good recap of the trip.

-Starfish